This stream will allow you to get a visa in as less as 20 days from the date of application.
This is not a visa and you will require a visit visa or eTA to enter Canada. This visit visa or eTA will be given to you along with the Study permit . Biometrics must be provided as quickly as possible in order to speed up the process. This stream is applicable only to a select few countries
The countries included are :
- The Philippines
Requirements for the SDS
- You must have an acceptance letter from a post secondary Designated learning Institution (DLI) in order to apply for the Study Permit.
- Proof of payment of your first year’s fees to the DLI must be provided.
- You must be present outside of Canada to apply for the SDS.
- A $10,000 GIC is required (Guaranteed Investment Certificate).
- Certificate of acceptance from Quebec is required to study in the province.
- Must get a medical exam done before you apply
- Get a police clearance before you apply
- You must have your secondary post secondary school transcripts
- Language test score of band 6 or higher in each skill (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking)
- A TEF score of CLB 7 in each section is required
Who is not eligible for the SDS ?
In order to obtain a study permit, you must go through the standard application process, regardless of your nationality.
Where can you get the GIC?
You can get a GIC from any of the financial institutions listed on the website of the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation. GICs and Student Direct Stream standards must be met by the financial institution you work with.
A list of financial organisations that offer GICs to those who qualify has been provided :
- Bank of Beijing
- Bank of China
- Bank of Montreal
- Bank of Xian Co. Ltd.
- Imperial Bank of Commerce of Canada
- Bank of Montreal
- HSBC Bank of Canada
- ICICI Bank
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- RBC Royal Bank
- SBI Bank Canada
What is the GIC?
It provides a predetermined rate of return for a predetermined period of time.It is basically the funds to be used for your expenses after you land in Canada.
The bank that offers you a GIC must provide you with one of the following options:
- A letter of certification from GIC
- A reaffirmation of our investment strategy.
- A statement confirming the health of your investment
Do not use the GIC until you have arrived in Canada; instead, store it in an investment or student account.
The bank has to release the funds to you by the following date:
- In Canada, you will receive a one-time payment.
- Over the next year, the remaining funds will be paid out in monthly or bimonthly instalments.
If you are:
Prior to moving to Canada, I lived abroad for at least six months in at least one country or territory.
If you’re coming to the country to do either of those things, you’ll need a visa.
- The healthcare industry
- Schooling in the first or second grade
- the age of a child
For the medical exam you must see a doctor approved by the IRCC
Your visa office will inform you if a PCC is required based on where you submit your application.
You will get these requirements when you select your country of residence
If you want to bring your children spouse/partner to Canada along with you must complete and submit their application at the same time
If you have any children, your spouse or common-law partner may benefit as well.
What is the process for obtaining a study visa?
- Only online application , there is no paper based applications
- Give your biometrics
- Pay your fees when you apply online
- Based on your country you will get all the requirements
After you pay your application fees and finish your application you will be sent a letter that states where and how to give your biometrics
You will need this letter and valid passport when you give your biometrics .
You have 30 days to give your biometrics after receiving the letter .Most of the applications are processed 20 days after getting your biometrics .
Regular applications are handled if they don’t fit into the SDS stream.There won’t be any faster processing in that case
Once the Application is approved
A letter of introduction that you need to show to the officer at the border
- an electronic travel authorization or visitor visa
- If there is no problem with the application the officer will print your Study permit
Your study permit is valid till the end of your study program .
If your passport expires then your study permit will expire as well
In this case you will need to extend your study permit once you get a new passport.
If you have any questions the immigration officer will help answer any questions related to your study permit
Will you get Canadian permanent residence via the SDS Canada stream?
International students can apply for permanent residence in Canada after completing their studies, whether they do so through the SDS or the regular immigration system.
International students can stay and work in Canada for up to three years after graduation with the PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit).After working in Canada for a year, international graduates may be able to apply for permanent residency status in Canada.
The streams offered by the government are subject to change and now it is the best time to apply under the highly beneficial SDS (Student Direct Stream). We will assist you each step of the way and make sure that the application is error free before we make the final submission. This is a pathway to attaining a PGWP ( Post Graduate Work Permit) which in turn is a direct pathway towards Permanent Residency.
Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your journey.
Call us now!!
Email us at